Spring Cleaning is a ritual for some–the weather gets warmer and suddenly it’s time to take a hard look at the inside of your closet and dresser drawers. While it may seem like a thankless task, there’s a lot of good that can come from going through what you’re not using. It can help someone else!
Nonprofit organizations in our region are looking for gently used clothing, shoes, linens, and household items that can be put to good use. That jacket you bought for work? It could help a local woman to look her best at a job interview. And your kids’ outgrown (but in great shape) tennis shoes? They could be a great find for a thrifty mom seeking quality items at an affordable price.
Unless they’re damaged or broken, there’s a good chance that your spring cleaning “discards” can add up to some fantastic finds that support great local causes.
Where to take your donations?
If you know us, you know that we take pride in supporting our community. We even make a donation to a local charity with every home sold.
This list highlights some of our favorite local nonprofits, rated by Charity Navigator, that accept gently used items; with the proceeds directly benefitting people (or animals) in need:
- Animal Friends – blankets, towels
- Dress for Success – women’s clothing, especially professional clothing
- Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania – clothing, shoes, books, household items
- Light of Life Rescue Mission – clothing, socks, personal care items
- Repurposed – clothing, shoes, household items, linens
- St. Vincent DePaul Council of Pittsburgh – clothing and household items
Check out the websites of each organization prior to donating–sometimes they need something in particular to best meet their mission to help others.